Posts Tagged ‘BlueTooth’

Bluetooth Mouse on my Ubuntu Laptop – an easy feat

Thursday, June 19th, 2008

I was surprised at how easy it was.

You need to do the following:

1. Find your mouse’s address using ‘hcitool scan

2. Verify that you can pair the two devices using ‘sudo hidd –connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

3. Edit /etc/default/bluetooth, uncomment the additional line with the HIDD_OPTIONS and set it to be

“–connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX –server”

4. Restart the service ‘bluetooth’

This works immediately after using the hardware button to enable/disable BT on my IBM Thinkpad. If I turn the mouse off, I need to press on the hardware button to disable/re-enable the bluetooth.

Dial-up in Israel through Orange 3G

Saturday, May 3rd, 2008

I have set up a small script to allow me to dial-up using my cell to the internet. The speed of the 3G connection is quite amazing, and this information would assist, I’m sure, others as well. I am using Bluetooth to communicate between my cell and my portable computer.

Steps:

1. Create an /etc/wvdial.conf with the following contents:

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = *99***1#
Username = orange
Password = mobile54
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/rfcomm1
Baud = 460800
Init2 = atz
ISDN = off
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Dial Attempts = 1
Abort on No Dialtone = off
Stupid Mode = on

2. Pair your mobile and your laptop (check it on the net). Get the hardware ID

3. Get the channel for DUN (or Dial-Up Networking)

4. Add this script in /usr/local/sbin/ (I called it “gprs”). Replace the zeros with your own hardware ID, and the number 4 (Nokia N95) with the channel you use:

#!/bin/bash
rfcomm connect 1 00:00:00:00:00:00 4 &
PID_BT=$!
echo $PID_BT
sleep 5
wvdial &
PID_WV=$!
echo $PID_WV
sleep 7
ifconfig
echo “Press on Ctrl+C to disconnect”

trap “{ kill $PID_WV; sleep 1; kill $PID_BT; exit; }” SIGINT

while true; do sleep 10; done

5. You need to run the script under “sudo”. Ctrl+C will exit and disconnect.

Good luck.

System hang, and the results

Tuesday, August 9th, 2005

Well, the results weren’t for the hang, but were for the long while since it was last rebooted. Usually it’s around 2+ month between reboots, my desktop, and it leaves you with tons of questions as to what might happen when you actually boot up. Well, it never happens when you want it, or have the time for it…

So? What did we have? A system which hung. probably because I’ve used Disk-On-Key with it. On some occasions I’ve seen it happening. Weird, because last time I’ve seen it, it happened on my laptop, running older kernel, with swsusp running. I don’t use sesusp on my desktop…

So the system allowed itself to boot up. And waited long enough (around 1/2 a minute!) while bringing up networking for sendmail (why? I’ll have to look into it), and then GDM decided to crush. It just kept on crushing. Debug mode did not reveal anything I could work with. After a while (which included testing of X, and re-running gdm, etc), I’ve decided to use any other DM which can
work. I’ve used XDM, and it took me only a short while to make sure it allowed my favorite desktop. Wasn’t nice, though.

I think they have some issue with GDM for Debian systems. I don’t know where it broke, but it used to happen on my laptop as well. Now it has stopped doing it, for some unknown reason, which means I will have to compare package versions.

On another note, and a post I’ve tried to add here, just before my computer froze. I’ve had a BlueTooth headset – Motorola HS805 for a short while now. This BT device uses AAA batteries, which means it’s a bit large, but can hold lots of time. Moreover, it’s design is one which will not penetrate one’s ear canal, but will remain outside of it, aka, external to the ear itself. It’s good. You don’t feel like someone’s poking his finger into your ear. It also has a good sound quality, which makes it a good product. However, one flaw which I couldn’t ignore rendered two such devices as useless (and broken) for me. The battery compartment cover is being held shut by two small plastic pins, or holders. Tiny as they are, holding the whole might of the battery and the spring at which it is pressed, leaves, at least for me, a very high chance of breaking one of those pins. When you break one, you soon break the other.

Front view. Large, but acceptable.

Rear view. You can notice the battery compartment, and the broken body’s plastics

It happened on the first Motorola HS805 device I’ve had, and, somehow, I was able to replace it in the store. Two weeks later, careful as much as I could be, I’ve managed to break another such BT headset. I felt frustrated, but due to life’s course, put it aside, and moved on.

Two days ago, I’ve found it, and I’ve decided to invest the time, and try to replace it, or have it fixed. The store sent me to Motorola support and repair center, and there I was told that this BT was broken due to unreasonable usage (Me? I’ve used it in the most reasonable way! I replaced battery!), and they don’t have spare parts, so nothing can be done.

I was quite disappointed at that stage. I’ve expected it to be a known issue, and it seems I’m the only one who managed to break
his BT device… So I’ve looked on the net. I’ve found around 10 reviews (positive, I must say!), but they managed, somehow, to be in every damn site I’ve checked. These same reviews, starting with this guy saying it might not fit small ears, and ending with this one saying something about "it gets sometimes cut out in my car", on dozens of
sites. I better learn again how these sites work, but it sure decreased my confidence with the review systems on the net. Trying to add a review, everything seemed to work, but it never got into the system (two days has passed!). Weird.

I’ve linked some sites showing the same reviews. For you pleasure, and concern. It sure made me concerned.

Review1; review1 again; review2

There’s also one from Amazon, but that actually sums most of them up.