Posts Tagged ‘kernel’
Boel initrd files are actually compressed cramfs files. This is a menuscript for authoring and modifying these files, if needed. Assume the file in question is /tftpboot/install-initrd-i386.img:
cp /tftpboot/install-initrd-i386.img /tmp/
gzip -S .img -d install-initrd-i386.img
mount -o loop install-initrd-i386 /mnt
tar cf – . | (cd /tmp/initrd/ ; tar vxf -) # expect errors about time. It’s OK.
Here you can modify the contents of /tmp/initrd for your needs. When done, continue.
mkcramfs initrd initrd.cramfs
cat initrd.cramfs | gzip -9 > initrd.modified.img
Now you can copy the file /tmp/initrd.modified.img to your /tftpboot directory.
Warning – Never delete your original initrd, in case you made a mistake and need to go back in time.
Kernel version 22.214.171.124, so I will supply its config file here config-126.96.36.199.txt. Same procedure as before.
After upgrading my laptop to 188.8.131.52 kernel, hibernation worked flawlessly. Running my previous version of kernel – 184.108.40.206, I have had some hibernation instabilities. I’ve had some memory corruptions here and there, which would have required I reboot the machine. So far, and it’s been a while, I’m glad to say I had no reason to "reboot" my laptop, but only to hibernate and awake it. Works like a charm.
In my post here, I have complained of performance issues with Orinoco_pci module. Although I’ve had somewhat below the average speed in my LAN (I’ve got about 800KB/s, give or take, on my 802.11b network), using this line to reach an external server / address or even a web site was disastrous. Degraded performance, up to no connection at all. Ping was correct at all times, just as a simple wget to a rather close server (on my ISP’s server room) got timed-out, and drained to less than 2KB/s… Terrible.
In this kernel version, as I’m happy to say, I have tested the built-in orinoco, and finally it’s working just as it should. I get to use my full internet bandwidth, and I’m happy with it. Normal response times, and all. Now all I’ve got left is to make sure the internal LEDs work. On another day 🙂
Alongside a newer kernel, I’m enjoying a newer Software Suspend2 package. I am not crazy about betas, or RCs, so now I’m on the 2.2 stable. I have hibernated only once since I’ve upgraded kernel, but it went just fine on the first try, so I’m rather ok with it without setting a set of cover-it-all tests.
Here’s my kernel config, if anyone’s interested – config-220.127.116.11.txt
Also, you can get the latest swsusp2 and fbsplash from the right places, as described in my post here. It’s good I use this blog – it keeps my memories for me.
First and foremost – Happy new year!
Technically speaking, it has gone rather well so far, this new year. Although it was actually yesterday, I’ve managed to add another feature to my little laptop, and support the Fujitsu Keys on my linux – this time, with no errors, no problems, and without killing SWSUSP2 – My working (so far flawlessly) software suspend.
First, to remember what I’ve done, I’ve looked in this link, my past post about it. It wasn’t too informative, but it did point me to the right place to begin at, Apanel Sourceforge project page. Couldn’t find better. There you can download the current latest version, 1.4, and you can fail to compile it, just like I did.
Compilation of the package is rather simple – You go and read its “README.linux” file. It’s great, simple, compiles for 2.6.13 just as it should, and fails to compile on my brand new 18.104.22.168 kernel. Bummer.
1. cd to the root of the package/linux
2. cat /tmp/patch.diff (or whatever its name) | patch -p5
3. One hulk failed, one succeeded.
4. Compiled. Was happy.
After compilation, you need to copy apanel.ko to your kernel modules directory. I’ve put them in /lib/modules/22.214.171.124/kernel/drivers/char . Seemed like a good place. Afterwards, all you have to do is run “depmod -a” and afterwards, just insmod the newly compiled modules.
Compiling the Apanel application I leave as an execise for you. I have a nice script which starts my fujikd daemon, and it works now like charm. Doesn’t leave tons of useless junk lines in my messages files.
Correction – After hibernation, it does. I will try to remove the module and re-insert it to see what happens.
Update – It actually is ok after removal and re-insert. All this is done by simply unloading / reloading the fjkeyd service. I will add it to my hibernation.conf file.
Update 2 – It returns. Not much of it, but it does return, and I hate it. For now, I will try to use it under controlled environment. We’ll see on it in the future.