Posts Tagged ‘keyboard’

Sony PSP – Connecting Keyboard – Get more out of your PSP

Monday, October 1st, 2007

I wanted to purchase a keyboard for my PSP for a long while. Only several days ago I actually did it. I was surprised at how simple it is to connect and use it.

Mind that it:

1. Requires OE firmware (I use 3.03-OE)

2. All is a beta/alpha software, and misbehaves accordingly, on occasions.

Since I was confused myself, I will clear some of the fog that surrounds the keyboard drivers – There are currently two major keyboard software plugins. One of them is “driver” (plugin) based, which gets added to the flash, which is called pikey (pi like the number). The 2nd one is implemented inside specific homebrew software, and uses the PSP IR Library. The pikey will allow using the keyboard at all times, and the interface is the same as the normal input interface, but very fast. The PSP IR Lib will work only within Homebrew apps which include the library, and will not work outside of it. It will supply, however, a more native keyboard-like interface, and respond faster and better when working.

Both systems are not compatible. I discovered it the hard way, but no harm was done (had to take the battery out several times).

I was able to download pikey from N00bz! website, including instructions. I was able to download IR keyboard capable software (aka, IR KB Lib) from ZX-81’s website. From there I have downloaded an SSH client (PSPSSH V 1.09), etc.

Using the installer, install the pikey, and set it to apply to both game mode and VSH. Reboot the PSP to the recovery console (Start it with right trigger pressed) and you will be able to activate both plugins in the “plugins” menu.

Check that you can use your keyboard with the test utility (also supplied with pikey), and reboot again to the recovery console, where you should disable the “game mode” plugin.

You are now able to use the keyboard inside the XMB (the interface) and in the browser. You will be able to use the IR Lib interface in PSPSSH, and other similar software.

Good luck.

The output of the command “top” using PSPSSH on a remote server. Nice…

fjkeyd, Apanel and the newer 2.6.14.2 kernel. All with hibernation!

Sunday, January 1st, 2006

First and foremost – Happy new year!

Technically speaking, it has gone rather well so far, this new year. Although it was actually yesterday, I’ve managed to add another feature to my little laptop, and support the Fujitsu Keys on my linux – this time, with no errors, no problems, and without killing SWSUSP2 – My working (so far flawlessly) software suspend.

First, to remember what I’ve done, I’ve looked in this link, my past post about it. It wasn’t too informative, but it did point me to the right place to begin at, Apanel Sourceforge project page. Couldn’t find better. There you can download the current latest version, 1.4, and you can fail to compile it, just like I did.

Compilation of the package is rather simple – You go and read its “README.linux” file. It’s great, simple, compiles for 2.6.13 just as it should, and fails to compile on my brand new 2.6.14.2 kernel. Bummer.

Then I’ve found out this page, under the project’s page, incliding patch just for the 2.6.14+ kernels. Simple math shows I’m using a 2.6.14+ kernel, and I applied the patch doing the following:

1. cd to the root of the package/linux

2. cat /tmp/patch.diff (or whatever its name) | patch -p5

3. One hulk failed, one succeeded.

4. Compiled. Was happy.

After compilation, you need to copy apanel.ko to your kernel modules directory. I’ve put them in /lib/modules/2.6.14.2/kernel/drivers/char . Seemed like a good place. Afterwards, all you have to do is run “depmod -a” and afterwards, just insmod the newly compiled modules.

Compiling the Apanel application I leave as an execise for you. I have a nice script which starts my fujikd daemon, and it works now like charm. Doesn’t leave tons of useless junk lines in my messages files.

Correction – After hibernation, it does. I will try to remove the module and re-insert it to see what happens.

Update – It actually is ok after removal and re-insert. All this is done by simply unloading / reloading the fjkeyd service. I will add it to my hibernation.conf file.

Update 2 – It returns. Not much of it, but it does return, and I hate it. For now, I will try to use it under controlled environment. We’ll see on it in the future.