Posts Tagged ‘NFS Service’

Redhat Cluster NFS client service – things to notice

Friday, January 16th, 2009

I encountered an interesting bug/feature of RHCS on RHEL4.

A snip of my configuration looks like this:

<resources>
    <fs device="/dev/mapper/mpath6p1" force_fsck="1" force_umount="1" fstype="ext3" name="share_prd" mountpint="/share_prd" options="" self_fence="0" fsid="02001"/>
    <nfsexport name="nfs export4"/>
    <nfsclient name="all ro" target="192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0" options="ro,no_root_sqush,sync"/>
    <nfsclient name="app1" target="app1" options="rw,no_root_squash,sync"/>
</resources>

<service autostart="1" domain="prd" name="prd" nfslock="1">
    <fs ref="share_prd">
       <nfsexport ref="nfs export 4">
          <nfsclient ref="all ro"/>
          <nfsclient ref="app1"/>
       </nfsexport>
    </fs>
</service>

This setup was working just fine, until a glitch in the DNS occurred.This glitch resulted in inability to resolve names (which were not present inside /etc/hosts at this time), and lead to a failover with the following error:

clurgmgrd: [7941]: <err> nfsclient:app1 is missing!

All range-based nfsclient agents seemed to function correctly. I could manage to look into it only a while later (after setting simple range-based allow-all access), and through some googling, I found out this explanation – it was a change of how the agent responds to “status” command.

I should have looked inside /var/lib/nfs/etab and see that app1 server appeared with its full name. I changed the resource settings to reflect it:

<nfsclient name="app1" target="app1.mydomain.org" options="rw,no_root_squash,sync"/>

and it seems to work just fine now.

RHEL3 Kickstart on Itanium (IA64)

Saturday, June 16th, 2007

Recently I have installed several Redhat systems on IA64 platforms. Since it required only slight adjustments, and since there were two sets of systems, RHEL3 Update2 and RHEL4 Update3, I have decided to use Kickstart for both, each with his own ks.cfg file.

For lack of any other explanation at the moment, I can only say I feel I have encountered a bug with RHEL3 on IA64 platform and ks handling.

Steps:

1. Bring up a dedicated installation server. Install on it DHCP Server, Name Server, TFTP Service (activated from xinetd), NFS Service.

2. Setup DHCP for a dedicated network card. Address pool 192.168.0.x. Server IP: 192.168.0.1

3. Verify it’s working.

4. Extract RH images to the NFS root directory, under the distro name. Example – /install/rhel3.2-ia64

5. Add elilo PXE image for IA64 in /tftpboot. Add a file elilo.conf (elilo.conf)

6. Install both servers – RHEL3 and RHEL4

7. Take anaconda-ks.cfg and use it (with slight modifications) to fit my needs. Really minor changes.

8. Boot the next nodes based on these ks files. (RHEL3 ks file: ks.cfg)

While RHEL4 works fine and uses my ks.cfg, RHEL3 does not. It seems to start using it, and then go on to asking me all these annoying questions (Welcome to RedHat 3 installation!)

I have even tried building ks.cfg using redhat-config-kickstart tool, but same results.

Since installation is done using serial console, I cannot access other virtual consoles and debug the problem on-the-fly.

***UPDATE***

Per a suggestion in a forum, I have looked again into the elilo.conf file, and noticed that the ks path was different. Matter of paying attention. This is probably the problem, and I will verify it soon.