Archive for the ‘Laptop’ Category

fjkeyd, Apanel and the newer 2.6.14.2 kernel. All with hibernation!

Sunday, January 1st, 2006

First and foremost – Happy new year!

Technically speaking, it has gone rather well so far, this new year. Although it was actually yesterday, I’ve managed to add another feature to my little laptop, and support the Fujitsu Keys on my linux – this time, with no errors, no problems, and without killing SWSUSP2 – My working (so far flawlessly) software suspend.

First, to remember what I’ve done, I’ve looked in this link, my past post about it. It wasn’t too informative, but it did point me to the right place to begin at, Apanel Sourceforge project page. Couldn’t find better. There you can download the current latest version, 1.4, and you can fail to compile it, just like I did.

Compilation of the package is rather simple – You go and read its “README.linux” file. It’s great, simple, compiles for 2.6.13 just as it should, and fails to compile on my brand new 2.6.14.2 kernel. Bummer.

Then I’ve found out this page, under the project’s page, incliding patch just for the 2.6.14+ kernels. Simple math shows I’m using a 2.6.14+ kernel, and I applied the patch doing the following:

1. cd to the root of the package/linux

2. cat /tmp/patch.diff (or whatever its name) | patch -p5

3. One hulk failed, one succeeded.

4. Compiled. Was happy.

After compilation, you need to copy apanel.ko to your kernel modules directory. I’ve put them in /lib/modules/2.6.14.2/kernel/drivers/char . Seemed like a good place. Afterwards, all you have to do is run “depmod -a” and afterwards, just insmod the newly compiled modules.

Compiling the Apanel application I leave as an execise for you. I have a nice script which starts my fujikd daemon, and it works now like charm. Doesn’t leave tons of useless junk lines in my messages files.

Correction – After hibernation, it does. I will try to remove the module and re-insert it to see what happens.

Update – It actually is ok after removal and re-insert. All this is done by simply unloading / reloading the fjkeyd service. I will add it to my hibernation.conf file.

Update 2 – It returns. Not much of it, but it does return, and I hate it. For now, I will try to use it under controlled environment. We’ll see on it in the future.

Orinoco_pci performance problems

Saturday, December 24th, 2005

Weird behavior of my Orinoco_pci wireless network interface. On my home 802.11b network, I get performance of about 600KB/s, instead of 1.1MB/s, which should be the approximate speed to expect to. Not only that, but browsing to external websites and the likes (I compare using wget), I get speeds of <7KB/s, and sometimes decreasing to a stall, on a 2Mb/s line. My desktop reaches speeds of >150KB/s, so I could either point at my wireless router/AP, or my wireless NIC. Using PCMCIA RTL8180 802.11b NIC, and using it with NDISwan drivers, I’ve got speeds of above 150KB/s, which points at my built-in Orinoco wireless interface.

I’ve tried downloading the newer orinoco driver, 0.15rc4 (instead of my existing 0.15rc2), and got similar results. I got stalled a bit later (testing with 18MB zip file), but it could be random point, just as well. Using the PCMCIA, it worked correctly *ALL* times. Pity. I will have to pay the “price”, regarding battery life, and extra accessories, regarding wireless for now. I might try this same test with some other router/AP sometime, when I get near one of those.

Kernel update – 2.6.14.2

Saturday, December 24th, 2005

My tiny laptop has worked rather well so far, but I’ve decided, due to some unexplained problems, to upgrade it to a newer version of kernel, aka 2.6.14.2.

Based on my own blog’s entry (what good are blogs if not to hold some long forgotten knowledge?), which can be found here, I’ve upgraded my kernel and used the following config file config-2.6.14.2.txt.

One thing which I’ve had to do, maybe due to some upgrade of mkinitrd tools, or the likes, and it took me one misserable hibernation and restore (or a failed restore) to discover was to add the line “echo >/proc/suspend2/do_resume” to /usr/share/initrd-tools/linuxrc (my exact file is linuxrc.txt), so that the system would actually restore from hibernation. Now it works correctly.

On another issue, I’ve been asked to advise during Oracle DB installation on Linux setup, with High Availability solution. Although, long time ago, I’ve installed Oracle on both Solaris and Windows (without fine-tuniing it, anyhow), I’ve started searching the net, and came to the following link. The documents linked there are worth their weight in gold and diamonds. I’ll be testing them in the next few days, for my own personal advantage, but I think it’s gonna succeed, and as it seems the place for such issues, I can only put my thumb up for such sites and information sources on the web. It reminds me of the good in it. I was very impressed.