Archive for December, 2005

Kernel update – 2.6.14.2

Saturday, December 24th, 2005

My tiny laptop has worked rather well so far, but I’ve decided, due to some unexplained problems, to upgrade it to a newer version of kernel, aka 2.6.14.2.

Based on my own blog’s entry (what good are blogs if not to hold some long forgotten knowledge?), which can be found here, I’ve upgraded my kernel and used the following config file config-2.6.14.2.txt.

One thing which I’ve had to do, maybe due to some upgrade of mkinitrd tools, or the likes, and it took me one misserable hibernation and restore (or a failed restore) to discover was to add the line “echo >/proc/suspend2/do_resume” to /usr/share/initrd-tools/linuxrc (my exact file is linuxrc.txt), so that the system would actually restore from hibernation. Now it works correctly.

On another issue, I’ve been asked to advise during Oracle DB installation on Linux setup, with High Availability solution. Although, long time ago, I’ve installed Oracle on both Solaris and Windows (without fine-tuniing it, anyhow), I’ve started searching the net, and came to the following link. The documents linked there are worth their weight in gold and diamonds. I’ll be testing them in the next few days, for my own personal advantage, but I think it’s gonna succeed, and as it seems the place for such issues, I can only put my thumb up for such sites and information sources on the web. It reminds me of the good in it. I was very impressed.

Non-Technical, but I couldn’t hold myself

Tuesday, December 6th, 2005

I’ve got to get one of those. It’s like the coolest thing in the world. You can aim and shoot, and all directly from your PC. The challenge, afterwards, would be to make it work under Linux, either directly, or via Wine. Who cares?

And later addition: Also one of those, but they’re so expensive… I want one. Really.

NT4 Server English, BDC, and problems

Sunday, December 4th, 2005

In the long forgotten days of NT4, there was not Unicode. In these older days, one could use English, and the language the server machine was predefined for. In our poor and sad case, English alone.

This is a story of a poor filer, member of a multi-site NT4 domain, which, due to latency and delay in the creation of the VPN connection between sites, had to become BDC.

Now this server acts as BDC, and all is fine, but as a filer, although Hebrew files can be saved and recalled to/from it (Hebrew names), it cannot access them interally. It cannot backup/restore Hebrew named files, it cannot copy/move them either. We’re stuck.

I’ve got two possible directions: The first would be to "upgrade" or "reinstall" the server using an Hebrew Enabled version of NT4 Server (and with luck, much luck, it might work), or to silently replace it by a Linux acting as NT Domain BDC, caching accesses, etc. Maybe it will work, donno. Worth a try.