Posts Tagged ‘hardware’

Bluetooth Mouse on my Ubuntu Laptop – an easy feat

Thursday, June 19th, 2008

I was surprised at how easy it was.

You need to do the following:

1. Find your mouse’s address using ‘hcitool scan

2. Verify that you can pair the two devices using ‘sudo hidd –connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

3. Edit /etc/default/bluetooth, uncomment the additional line with the HIDD_OPTIONS and set it to be

“–connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX –server”

4. Restart the service ‘bluetooth’

This works immediately after using the hardware button to enable/disable BT on my IBM Thinkpad. If I turn the mouse off, I need to press on the hardware button to disable/re-enable the bluetooth.

RHEL 4 32bit on Tyan Thunder K8QE

Saturday, September 9th, 2006

It’s sort of a relationship between myself and this Tyan. Same server, changing demands. This time, we’ve had to install on this server RHEL4 32bit.

Net-installing RHEL4 Update 3 was impossible. See here, so we’ve installed it from CDs (didn’t have PCI-X network card handy).

When booting the server, it showed us only a single CPU. Since this machine has four dual-core CPUs, this number – one – was rather unexpected.

We’ve tried booting the system with additional parameters. We’ve tried, per RH tips, to allow “apic=bigsmp” parameter, however, when booting the server with these parameters, the server entered into reset loop. We’ve tried playing with other parameters, such as “apic acpi=noirq iommu=memaper=3 swiotlb=65536” (obtained for Google cache for a forum site which I cannot find again now), but for no avail. Finally, we’ve decided to upgrade the kernel to the one in Update4.

Doing so had special effects. When using it without any special parameters, the server entered a reboot loop, however, when we’ve added the parameter “apic=bigsmp” the server booted correcly and showed all eight CPUs.

Update – Netboot on RHEL x86 (32bit) with Broadcom (tg3) – no network

Sunday, August 27th, 2006

In my post just below, I have defined a set of tests to verify the possible cause of the tg3 problem. It had nothing to do with autoneg, and was fixed in RHEL 4 Update 4. That 32bit installer works correctly.

One last thing to test – rebuild the installer initrd, and replace tg3 module by one built from source (for example, HP’s tg3 drivers from the Proliant Support Pack) for this kernel. I wonder if it will work.

Moving to another place

Tuesday, July 25th, 2006

And my “lab zone” needs to be packed up. I’ve closed the lid of some of the computers in the lab, and piled them up. Got about 27 computers, some of them in working order, without counting my “Production” (yeah) computers, 6 computers acting as servers, two desktops and one laptop. Two additional laptops I did not count, don’t know why…

Of my non-“production” computers, One is P4, few are P3, many are P2 and P1 (or equivalent, of course). Two Apples, one Sun. Used to have SGI, but it didn’t work, so I gave it to a friend to try and make it work. He failed, as far as I know.

I’ve taken few pictures of my pile in becoming. It is not all of the computers, but it’s a pile of 20 already. Check it out

Front-side view. Only some of the rear raw are visible
Side view. Nothing much to see. It’s one level above floor, anyhow
Rear view. Still, only the upper two and a half floors of the pile are visible
Front view. Again, only the upper two and a half floors are visible

Still got 12 or 13 more computers to add to the pile. Most of them being my “production”, I believe they will be treated better.