Archive for December, 2005

Philips OV518 WebCam

Friday, December 30th, 2005

I’ve had problems with this one. Although it had a built-in module in the kernel tree, it didn’t work. I’ve had to search a bit, and even when done, new kernel required new solution.

I’ve managed to locate the exact place. First, if you have a Philips webcam, OV5xx, which gives these kernel prints: drivers/usb/media/ov511.c: No decompressor available you might consider my post here.

First, go to this page and download and go to the 2.xx section. There you can download a rather new source package, which can, finally, compile smoothly on your kernel, assuming you use 2.6.14, like I do.

Well, for me it worked correctly, and, although I don’t use it much, I’m happy.

Linux Software Suspend (swsusp2) – Impressive Stability

Wednesday, December 28th, 2005

I know hibernation is cool, and I know it’s possible even under Linux, but up to now, I’ve never had it as stable and reliable as one could have expected. However, using SWSUSP2.2RC on 2.6.14.2, I am impressed. I’ve been using my laptop for the last week or so, ever since I’ve discovered the problem with my Desktop’s video card, and it has worked flawlessly so far. Good as it’s supposed to. Not only that, but it worked correctly both with my built-in wireless (it used to have lots of problems in the past), and with NDISwan. Couldn’t ask for more 🙂

Nokia’s AMR, and Linux conversion

Tuesday, December 27th, 2005

First and foremost, although I’ve purchased a new display card, I haven’t installed it in the computer yet, as my NVidia has decided to behave. Maybe it’s something to do with some specific build of Firefox, as it’s the only main package changed during the last two or three days.

Second, I’ve tape-recorded into my cell an event, and wanted to play it, afterwards, on my desktop. I discovered that it’s being saved in AMR format, which is rather annoying, and uncooperative. Google brought me this site, pointing to an important place on the web. Them both gave me a hint. I’ve been able to download Nokia’s package, and although it got compiled, it segfaulted, so using the second site, I’ve noticed the changes required both to the Makefile and to the code  itself, and it works correctly now.

Second, I’ve had problems with the script. I’ve altered it a bit, to fit my needs, and it’s attached here covert-amr-to-mp3.sh.txt.

You need to copy the compiled “encode” and “decode” to /usr/local/bin in this case, because it’s the right place for them.

It works correctly now, and I’m as happy as I can be. Got some good laughes out of these records.

One more thing – As today I’ve started working heavilly with VMWare, I’ve discovered a bug in it. I will probably verify it in the near future, but it can be replicated following these steps:

1) On an existing Win2003 Ent. Server install VMWare GSX 3.2.1

2) Check “Host Settings” to make sure it uses “C:Virtual Machines

3) Create a storage partition on another disk, formatted to NTFS, and mount it to “C:Virtual Machines

4) Repeate step 2. Use “Browse” to set it up right, if you’re not sure.

5) If you don’t have enough space on your C:, for example, less than the default Virtual Disk of 4GB, even if your mounted partition “C:Virtual Machines” does have enough space, VMWare wizard will complain about “not enough space”, and will not continue.

6) Setting drive letter to the storage partition and defining VMWare to use it works correctly.

So I’ve encountered it, and will try to repeate it on the next server I get to use. Could be interesting if I can actually reproduce it. Didn’t find anything about it in their documentations and knowledge-base.

Hadrware accelerated multi-screen solution – NVidia card

Saturday, December 24th, 2005

I don’t know why, but ever since the last shutdown of my desktop, I’ve had stability problems with my X. I’m using Xinerama, and it’s been working rather OK, for the last month or so, however, now, especially when using Firefox version 1.5, it tends to halt, with “NVRM: Xvid: 12

” error, which means some crash with NVidia card. I’ve had this before, for a short period of time, and it might be due to failure of the fans, or the likes.

During the search for a newer driver, I’ve read NVidia’s README, and got to the understanding I can either use Xinerama, which is a software based multi-screen solution, or I could use Nvidia’s built-in “TwinView” mechanism. I’ve decided to use it, and after short while of tempering with it, got to the following config file xorg.conf-nvidia-hardware-enabled.txt, which works correctly.

It did not solve, however, my crush problems, and my X keeps on hanging once a while. I might just purchase a new, medium class NVidia card, for that matter.

Orinoco_pci performance problems

Saturday, December 24th, 2005

Weird behavior of my Orinoco_pci wireless network interface. On my home 802.11b network, I get performance of about 600KB/s, instead of 1.1MB/s, which should be the approximate speed to expect to. Not only that, but browsing to external websites and the likes (I compare using wget), I get speeds of <7KB/s, and sometimes decreasing to a stall, on a 2Mb/s line. My desktop reaches speeds of >150KB/s, so I could either point at my wireless router/AP, or my wireless NIC. Using PCMCIA RTL8180 802.11b NIC, and using it with NDISwan drivers, I’ve got speeds of above 150KB/s, which points at my built-in Orinoco wireless interface.

I’ve tried downloading the newer orinoco driver, 0.15rc4 (instead of my existing 0.15rc2), and got similar results. I got stalled a bit later (testing with 18MB zip file), but it could be random point, just as well. Using the PCMCIA, it worked correctly *ALL* times. Pity. I will have to pay the “price”, regarding battery life, and extra accessories, regarding wireless for now. I might try this same test with some other router/AP sometime, when I get near one of those.